The Australian Government has legislated that all Australians will have a My Health Record unless they choose not to.
Records will be created for all Australians with a Medicare card or DVA card who who do not already have a My Health Record, and who do not opt-out during the three month opt-out period. The opt-out period will commence on 16 July 2018.
There will be a public information campaign commencing at the beginning of the opt-out period that will clearly communicate that every Australian will get a My Health Record, unless they indicate they don’t want one.
- The opt-out period commences on 16 July 2018, and will run for 3 months. Following this period, any Australian without an active My Health Record will have one created for them, unless they have opted out.
- Individuals can opt out online or by calling 1800 723 471. There is no need to do anything if they are happy to have a My Health Record.
- It is not possible to opt-out prior to 16 July 2018. Individuals can register at www.myhealthrecord.gov.au to be informed when opt-out commences and to learn how to opt-out.
- There will be no change for people with an existing My Health Record. Individuals who have a My Health Record can cancel it at any time if they choose.
- Individuals can still register online to receive a My Health Record before the conclusion of the opt-out period.